Information Collection and How it is used
- Think Salmon collects personal information when you register with Think Salmon to use Think Salmon services or to post content on Think Salmon.
- When you register we ask for your email address. We also offer the opportunity to add certain optional information such as your name, birth date, birth place, gender, biographical information, ICQ/AIM/Yahoo/MSN user name, and personal interests.
- Think Salmon automatically receives and records information on our server logs from your browser, including your IP address, cookie, and the page you request.
- Think Salmon uses information for the following general purposes: products and services provision, billing, identification and authentication, services improvement, contact, research, and anonymous reporting.
IP Addresses are automatically reported by your browser each time you view a web page. Your IP address is stored in our user registration databases when you register with Think Salmon.
IP addresses may be used for various purposes, including:
- To diagnose or service technology problems reported by our users or engineers that are associated with the IP addresses controlled by a specific web company or ISP.
- To tailor advertising based on geographic area or other information derived from your IP address. Aggregate information derived from IP addresses may also be reported to advertisers.
- To estimate the total number of users visiting Think Salmon from specific geographical regions.
- To make sure that people are not voting for themselves or friends during contests or promotions.
A cookie is a small amount of data, which often includes an anonymous unique identifier, that is sent to your browser from a web site’s computers and stored on your computer’s hard drive.
- You can configure your browser to accept all cookies, reject all cookies, or notify you when a cookie is set.
- If you reject all cookies, you will not be able to use THINK SALMON products or services that require you to “sign in,” and you may not be able to take full advantage of the Think Salmon service.
- Think Salmon uses its own cookies for a number of purposes, including to:?
- Access your information when you “sign in”.
- Keep track of preferences you specify while you are using Think Salmon’s services.
- Estimate and report our total audience size and traffic.
- Conduct research to improve Think Salmon’s content and services.
- Think Salmon lets other companies (such as Google) set and access their cookies on your computer. Other entities’ use of their cookies is subject to their own privacy policies, not this one. Other companies and websites do not have access to Think Salmon’s cookies.
Information Sharing and Disclosure
- When you post a message, your Think Salmon ID or alias that you are posting under is visible to other users.
- If you post personal information online that is accessible to the public, you may receive unsolicited messages from other parties in return. Think Salmon does not rent or sell your personal information.
- Generally, Think Salmon does not share personal information about you with other people or nonaffiliated companies without your consent except to provide products or services you’ve requested and in the following circumstances:
- Think Salmon may be required to disclose personally identifiable information under special circumstances, such as to comply with subpoenas, warrants, court orders or legal process or to establish or exercise our legal rights or defend against legal claims;
Editing and Deleting Account Information. Security.
- You can change your Think Salmon Account Information, at any time.
- We may send you certain communications relating to the Think Salmon service, such as service announcements and administrative messages, that are considered part of your Think Salmon account.
- You can delete your Think Salmon account at any time from your account page; however, please note that your identification and contact information may remain in Think Salmon’s records for some period.
- We limit access to personal information about you to employees who we believe reasonably need to come into contact with that information to provide products or services to you or in order to do their jobs.
- Your Think Salmon Account Information is password-protected.
Think Salmon may update this policy at any time for any reason. If there are any significant changes to how we handle personal information we will send a notice to the primary email address specified in your Think Salmon account or by placing a prominent notice on our site.
If you have questions or suggestions please use contact Think Salmon online or contact Think Salmon at:
Think Salmon, c/o Pacific Salmon Foundation — Privacy
Suite 300-1682 W. 7th Avenue
Vancouver, BC, Canada V6J 4S6
Effective Date: September 19, 2006.